The last couple weeks haven't been so much fun. By last night, though, I was getting myself all pumped up for a better week. We have some fun stuff planned, but regardless of what we're doing as a family, it's time for me to get back on track. Adversity hit hard, and I crumbled. It's time to pick up the pieces and get going again. Right?
The heat didn't kick on last night. No huge deal, it's ok... I'm thankful that it wasn't colder last night. All is well.
I hopped in the car and headed toward Brad & Julie's house to pick them up and hit the gym. Saw the gas gauge and remembered that I was so off my weekend routine that I didn't fill up. No huge deal, I'll just get a few bucks' worth on the way to the gym.
Oh, the gas station isn't open until 6am? Ok, then, I'll make it to the gym, we'll be fine.
Worked out, showered, feeling good. Dropped Julie off at the house, Brad and I heading for work. But I knew I was forgetting something...
Oh yeah, silly me. I left my lunch in the fridge. No big deal, I'll just swing by the house and grab it.
Back in the car, heading for work. Dropped Brad off, and I was coasting up 71. Wha... what's... hey now, why is the car... Oh. Dang. I guess I'm walking. Oh well, at least I was able to coast to an exit ramp. Better than the shoulder.
And at least it isn't bitterly cold. I mean, it's chilly, but this isn't too bad. And the extra exercise is good, even though my tired legs sure don't need it right now. I wonder how far of a walk this is... [UPDATE: approximately 1 mile]
When I was working for my cousin, we always had a couple gas cans as "loaners" for when the drifters needed one. Honor system... here's the can, buy a few bucks' worth of gas, bring the can back when you're done. We knew we'd be lucky to get half of the cans back, but that's just good customer service, so it was built into the cost of doing business.
Can I help you? Yeah, can I borrow a gas can? You can buy one. They're over there. Ok. I'll take the can, and a coffee, and $2 worth of gas. I can't prepay the gas. You have to do that yourself at the pump. You can't prepay $2 worth of gas? I have to use my credit card at the pump to get $2 of gas??? Yes.
At the pump, my card was declined. Twice. The same card with which I just bought a gas can. Instead of walking back inside for "customer service" (which, more than ever, I'm convinced is dead), I took that BP gas can and a very tasty cup of coffee across the street to the Shell station, where I successfully purchased a gallon of fuel.
Heading back toward the highway, I was mostly (but not completely) amused by the whole situation. The unamused part of me kept thinking about how the days of Andy Griffith are so long gone, if they ever even existed at all. Surely, on the black-and-white TV, a good samaritan would have accompanied me to the fillin' station, and a kind fillin' station guy named Gomer or Goober would have loaned me a gas can with an overexcited smile.
How I wish the world was that way. How I wish people were more willing to give and to serve...
I could see the reflection of flashing lights before I could see my car. It was the CVS/Artimis Good Samaritan van and its 2-man-crew. They asked me if they could put the fuel in for me, as they had reflective vests as visual protection from traffic, and they had a funnel which would assist in the filling...
My morning was quite the dichotomy. There was a heavy portion of this world followed by a smooth helping of Mayberry.
[By the way, if you ever have car problems on the interstate in rush hour, just wait for these guys. They are freaking awesome.]
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Disappointed that you didn't give me a call. We live right off 71, I own a gas can, and my credit card works.
it could be worse.
you could be a Bengals fan.
oh... wait.
GO DOLPHINS!!!
i am naming my kids gomer and goober. it is done.
Post a Comment