Tuesday, October 21, 2008

More Termite Damage

Yep. Here we go again.

On the day of our "final" termite and structural repair inspection, prior to officially purchasing the house, my gut told me to keep fighting, to demand a more thorough investigation, to demand more parts of the ceiling be cut away to prove that all the significant termite damage had been found. After all, it isn't every day that termites are able to eat an entire 8" x 12" beam that is 18 feet long to the point that it disintegrated and fell to the ground as dust.

Alas, I allowed myself to be convinced by a complete idiot city building inspector that all was well and that there was no need to inspect any further. With much excitement, but still that still small voice deep within me expressing concern, we bought the house.

Then we found out that the kitchen floor joists were completely beyond any semblance of ability to bear weight.

Then we found more damage in the floor when finishing the dining room floor.

Then I found more undiscovered termite damage when thawing a frozen pipe last winter.

Surely, there couldn't be more, right? Silly me! Of course there is more!

I ain't posting any more until I have a better diagnosis... My sanity is completely gone. Pray for my sanity, the sanity of my wife, and for my house to not collapse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll be alright. They couldn't have done much damage beyond what you know already -- the house wouldn't still be standing. We had a similar situation when moving into our home in Westwood, but the damage was limited to some garage door header/trim and some interior basement paneling frame-ins. I've poked plenty of other holes in many places but haven't found anything else. They did eat a wooden fence post column outside; I repaired with with Wood-epox (the liquid hardener and 2-part putty)-- made by a company called Abatron and their stuff is AWESOME.

So, take a deep breath, get a solid handle on what is going on -- are they still active (unlikely), the extent of the damage, and begin to think of what repairs need to be made.

Remain calm and focused. Your family is strong, you will all come thought it fine.

B-Call said...

you wanna come live at my house?