Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Work Randomness

I've been feeling very convicted of late that I don't put forth enough effort to get to know those that I work with. I tend to get very comfortable in my Christian circle of friends and fellow churchgoers. There are a couple gentlemen that I see several times each day, and the most conversation we’ve ever had is heymanhowsitgoin. These are people that I view as being very different from me. But daggone it, we’re all in the same boat… we all need God’s love… we’re all pathetic human beings that need love. So I guess we’re really not all that different after all.

(
Justin Hall took the iTunes survey and admitted relief that an embarrassing guilty pleasure didn’t come up on shuffle… so now would be an appropriate time for me to admit that this post deserves a link to the lyrics of one of my iPod guilty pleasures, Collin Raye…)

New story about the dude at work who chewed me out for referring to Toby as ‘a good kid’: I was eating lunch with him on Friday, and he shared with me a simple formula that was rather entertaining. Take the weight gain in a baby’s first month of life and extrapolate (his word, not mine, I had to look it up…) that percentage gain over the first 12 months of life. In Toby’s case, his weight gain was approximately 30%. If he were to gain 30% each month, he’d be around 219 pounds by his first birthday. In conclusion, I’m glad this won’t be the case… I like holding him in my arms and kissing him. This would certainly be impossible at such a weight.

Regardless, it’s an interesting calculation that shows just how much a baby changes in the first month post-womb, and it doesn’t even take into consideration the internal changes, such as breathing air instead of amniotic fluid. God’s design is pretty wild. He’s a creative God with a mind that is certainly beyond our comprehension. Seeing some of the “little things” gives me enormous confidence to say that science could never explain it all. Science is cool, don’t get me wrong, but I think sometimes we need to just sit back and enjoy the beautiful mysteries that have been placed before our eyes.

In environmental news, 5 years ago, the site of our factory would have been considered a ‘wildlife-friendly’ industrial park, if such a thing is even possible. No one would have been surprised to see deer, geese, ducks, foxes, etc on company grounds. But most of those grounds have since been sold and are now either Sam’s Club, Meijer, Target, People’s Bank, Furniture Fair, IHOP, and a ridiculous parking lot that is more than sufficient to handle all of the above businesses’ parking needs during the peak of holiday season. (Anybody know why these parking lots are so dang big? These things blow my mind.) The geese tried to hang around for a couple years, but it was sad to watch them, as they really had no place to go. We’re pretty much limited to squirrels and possums now. Last spring was the first spring that anyone could remember there being no baby ducks or baby geese.

But, one morning in the middle of last week while walking from my car to the office building, I saw what appeared to be a rooster walking near the line of trailers at the loading dock. What da heck is a rooster doing in an industrial park, you ask? I was determined to find out. Turns out, the rooster hitched a ride to work. An employee got out of his pickup truck in the morning, walked to the office, and someone else saw the rooster hop out of the pickup bed. The guy doesn’t know how the rooster got in his truck, nor how long it had been there. I don’t even think the guy has a farm. It made for good watercooler fodder last week.

Over the weekend, we all forgot about the poor rooster stuck in the industrial park. Yesterday, as I was walking to my car at the end of the day, there it was! So the rooster, as of 5:05pm yesterday, is still alive and pecking. Anybody know how to catch a rooster?

That reminds me… I don’t think I’ve ever told the blogging world about the time I got attacked by a the neighborhood fighting rooster at Duebber’s Drive Thru… man do I have some weird stories that need to be told… and yes, Elizabethtown Ohio has a neighborhood fighting rooster…

Until next time…

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

oh I totally dig Collin Raye, especially the song you linked to. I also love the "Little Rock" one. I used to have his cd and got rid of it when I did my whole get rid of all my "secula" cd's think when I first became a Christian. I've bought alot of those cd's back but so far no Collin Raye. I may have to remedy that.