Toby's legs have been strong enough to support the weight of his big baby body for quite some time, but he had yet to take his first steps. That is, until this past week. Several times over the past couple months, the little dude has stood there, holding on to nothing... then, when he realizes that he's not holding anything, he quickly sits down. He certainly could have physically walked, but he either didn't want to or he didn't have any confidence to do so.
Last Sunday, he took his first couple steps. By Monday, he was walking all over the house. It was such a shocking thing to see... I'm so used to him crawling around, but to see my little baby walking was crazy. And now, I'm getting used to it. We're really proud of the little man.
Of course, there have been (and will continue to be) an abundance of falls or near-falls. I like to chase him around, and he likes to be chased around... he gets really excited and just starts moving fast, direction unknown. Yesterday, he got all excited and bonked his head against my bedside table. There was a big red mark on the side on his temple... he was wailing... I picked him up, comforted him, then we continued playing. Not 10 minutes later, it happened again... same spot on his head and everything. There will be bumps and bruises, so please don't call 241-KIDS on us.
I was hoping to put some walking video up here, but I need a FireWire cable. I went to Radio Shack, as they are apparently the only store that carries them. There were two teenage employees texting behind the counter, paying absolutely no attention to the store. The rack location was empty of the desired item. I asked if they had any in the back. The kid said he was going to check radioshack.com to see if they carried them. THIS IS NOT A RARE ITEM. EVERY VIDEO CAMERA LESS THAN 5 YEARS OLD REQUIRES ONE TO CONNECT TO A COMPUTER. I showed him the empty rack, he went to the back and brought out a "gold-plated" cable and said it was $40. I think hell might be very similar to Radio Shack. I went home and ordered the cable online for $7 including shipping. Of course, I ordered the wrong freaking cable, so you can't see any Toby video just yet.
Sunday, February 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
very cool on your young walking man!
and regarding radio shack: i hate that place. have hated it for years. and it came to a head probably 8 years ago or so when, forced to make a purchase there, they asked for my phone number. per usual, i told them that i didn't have a phone (i do, but i HATE having someone punch a phone nbr in a computer and tell me everything about myself, then send tons of crap mailings). the dude behind the counter begins to LECTURE me and chew me out because of this.
suddenly, i didn't need what i was buying there so badly.
Walking changes everything. Trust me. Now you're playing a whole new ballgame.
But once he starts walking and talking, he'll be a totally new person.
With the size of Toby's head...he's due for a lot of bruises from tables, walls, chairs, doorways, chimneys, washing machines, couches, etc....
...it's like an orange on a toothpick...
Come on...you know you were thinking it - I just had the gumption to say it...
Is the bedside table OK? :-)
Did you get the right cable yet? I can't wait to see him walk - it just doesn't seem possible!!
Post a Comment