Monday, February 19, 2007

Sing Along With Me

Come on, everyone… “it’s the most wonderful time of the year…” While there may still be a few inches of snow covering a few inches of ice on the ground, I’m speaking not of Christmas or of winter, but of spring training. Baseball is my sport of choice. If the Bengals were to be Super Bowl contenders while the Reds are stuck in perpetual mediocrity, I’d still be more excited for baseball season.

Being honest and thinking realistically, I don’t foresee 2007 being a particularly good year for my Redlegs. Although, as a fan, I look at every future season through a lens of optimism:

If Harang and Arroyo pick up where they left off… if Homer makes the team and even comes close to his “future stud” expectations… if the new and improved defense aids the pitching staff… if somebody else comes out of the woodwork and has a more-productive-than-anticipated season… if Griffey and Dunn can stay healthy and not suck… if most of these things happen, then maybe, just MAYBE I could watch a winner this year…

While it’s still chilly here in Cincy, my afternoons here at the office will soon become filled with baseball on WLW. The pleasant, relaxing sounds of baseball are coming. The only thing that could make this any better would be Nuxie getting out of the hospital and heading back to the booth to try to pronounce “Scott Dragicevich.”

No comments: