Sunday, February 04, 2007

Multi-Faceted Diet

(I can't think of a better time to blog than while Prince is performing the Super Bowl halftime show. Seriously... who comes up with this stuff?)

Following up on a post from a couple weeks ago, I am very happy to report that the food diet is going very well. I'm down 15 pounds in 2 weeks, which means I'm no longer statistically obese (!), as if BMI calculations were my driving force for wanting to lose weight. Within that same post, I mentioned internet use at work... since my access was removed, I've suddenly become a good employee.

(Prince isn't playing his own songs... I appreciate his willingness to not play '1999'. Sidenote: if I had an unpronouncable symbol as my name, I'd want a guitar built in the shape of my name.)

Following up on last week's poverty post, Robyn and I had some rather intense discussions about finances in the aftermath of the poverty discussion. We decided we are going to to give more away. We searched for a local inner-city ministry that we felt would be a good steward of our offerings, and put ourselves on a rather strict budget. Without cutting the pork spending out of our financial situation, we wouldn't be able to afford to support the chosen ministry. So, no more unnecessary spending.

When preparing the budget, we realized just how much money we spend on unnecessary things. Do I really need to go out to lunch 3-4 days per week? Do we really need to hit up restaurants as often as we do? Do we really need anything more than a house, utilities, food, water, and reasonably-priced clothing? There was so much surplus in our budget!!!

We have been blessed with so much more than we need. Don't read that the wrong way... most of you readers probably have household incomes higher than ours... but we just really don't need that much.

We have resolved to be better stewards with what God has blessed us with. That includes our finances, our time, our bodies. I'm very encouraged when I look at the last 2 weeks and see all that has happened around here. The State of our household is strong.

4 comments:

Butros Butros said...

Say what you will about Prince - the man is a stud guitarist and it was actually nice seeing a performer play his own guitar and sing the actual words. I assure you, he played and sang every note you heard.

On a realted note - why the **** did Billy Joel have a live voice tuner on him??? Is the NFL or CBS so concerned that someone might not sing in perfect pitch that they would RUIN the National Anthem and Billy Joels rep with the damn thing? Did anyone else hear this and cringe? I was honestly ticked off...

Anonymous said...

I feel your dieting pain - I started weight watchers and need to lose 30 pounds! I have to keep telling myself that it will be worth it. What are you eating - bread and water? I must tell you that it is much easier for a man to lose weight than a woman so you should feel extra sympathy for me!

scott d said...

Prince is no doubt a stud guitarist. How he managed to play a guitar shaped like that, in the rain, while wearing 6 inch heels, I'll never know.

Didn't hear the Anthem... heard it was bad, though...

Laura, when it's your blog that I'm commenting on, I'll feel sympathy for you. As long as this is my blog, I don't feel obligated to go out of my way to post sympathy to my favorite cousin.

scott d said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wuqIgTfmPr8

Wow... if you don't trust a guy to sing in key, don't have him sing the national anthem. I sang with a live voice tuner on a couple songs in the studio when working on the NRB album, and I wish I could find the words to say how frustrating it was. It should NEVER be used live.