Aaron and I went down to GABP last night for the 13-1 violation of the Reds by the Cardinals. The game was no good... but the conversation was good, and the section 127 seats were fantastic...
It would be easy to sarcastically say (of a 13-1 loss) that the highlight of the game happened before the game started. I will say exactly that, unsarcastically. There were an impressive number of Purple Heart veterans on the field before the game. Upon being announced as such, they were given a much-deserved standing ovation. I turned to Aaron to state the obvious: whether you support aggressive military action or you vehemently oppose war, you must applaud those who were wounded in battle.
My goal was to take a quick restroom break between the national anthem and the first pitch. I was walking toward the men's room at the same time the Vets were coming off the field toward the concourse. Anytime I see a veteran or a policeman or a fireman in public, I try to thank them for the work they do. Anyone could die at any moment, but these professions require their laborers to lay down their lives in protection of others. They deserve to be appreciated.
I approached a frail old purple-clad gentleman. I have an image of him in my mind, and I wish my words could adequately describe him. He looked... tired, concerned, distracted, somewhat lost. He had to be in his 80s. As soon as I received eye contact, I quietly and deliberately said 'thank you', and smiled at him. It took him a second to realize what I had said... suddenly, he took my hand as a grandfather would to his grandson, his eyes started to well up, and he nodded to me.
Yes, the home team lost by a dozen runs. But if I made that old Vet's night, I could care less about baseball. Please, if you see a veteran, thank them.
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
or, in the case of my grandpa, you could always give him a "Thank you" hump.
Absolutely awesome! I try to do that, too, but I don't do it near enough. Thanks for the reminder (and the tears).
Post a Comment