Saturday, November 26, 2005

My "Ghetto" Comments

Coming soon to Room113...

A story of why racial conflict absolutely tears me up. It's a story of me, a middle-class white kid from the 'burbs, living in Cincinnati in 2001 when the riots were happening. It's a story of me hurting a black friend's feelings with an insensitive comment in April 2001. It's a story of me completely offending a black fellow Summer Staff volunteer in August 2001, obviously not learning my lesson from offending my friend months earlier.

So, I'll gather my thoughts and my composure, and prepare to type out this story that still tears at my heart every time I think about it. And I still think about it at least on a weekly basis.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

steve-o said...

OK, first the joke:

That could've been "Post of the Year" if only you had omitted the Toby Mac quote.

Now for the more serious thought:

I too grew up on the westside that, despite it's status being north of the Mason/Dixon line, is somewhat racist. Somehow, though, I grew up with a passion to stomp out racism wherever I saw it. Sadly enough, some of the most racists people I've ever met are Christians [link to this post- http://beitcarr.blogspot.com/2005/08/dumb.html].

Until the church gets it right, what hope is there for the world?

Thanks for being so open here, Scott. I really appreciated it.