Went to Crossroads tonight with the Browns. They rock. That's a very interesting church... I don't know of too many churches that embrace the arts quite like they do. They bought the Dodge dealership adjacent to their property and have converted it, at leas temporarily, into an art studio of sorts. Tonight, in addition to lots of visual art on display, David Wolfenberger and Josh Seurkamp played a concert intermingled with spoken word poetry reading. It was surprisingly interesting all around. I mean, I figured Wolfenberger would be pretty dang good (hadn't seen him live before) and I know that Seurkamp is always worth the price of admission (especially tonight, being free), but I wasn't expecting the visual arts and spoken word to be as cool as it was.
The visual arts kept my attention? This, combined with my pumpkin carving... am I turning into the artist formerly known as Guido? (Nah, I've got a long way to go... that man has taken art to a new level... he's even creating musical instruments now.) There was this one piece that gave me crazy goosebumps just to look at--it was a little girl with a smile on her face, holding her teddy bear with one hand as she was running towards a light, running away from darkness... she was excited about the direction she was going... something in that direction of the light gave her joy... there was something wonderful about fleeing from the darkness... or at least that was my interpretation. I really wanted to talk to the guy who created it, but I decided it would be too weird. But I was moved. (Insert image of our old friend and leader Huff giving the "I was moved" face.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
it would be amazing if all churches embraced the visual and performing arts like that...for people like me and i think you aswell its our form of worship..its what God has intended for us.
Dude, this is one think I like about the church down here, they embrace and encourage the arts
Post a Comment