Sunday, July 29, 2007

"Yep, They're Nuts..."

I have a good example of a conversation that has, to this point, always left people thinking that my wife and I have completely lost our minds. Some variation of this conversation has happened at least 10 times in the last couple weeks:
Someone: So, you guys are moving to Price Hill...
Me: Yep, soon.
Someone: Well, I've heard about how they're gonna turn the Incline District into Mount Adams West. That should be good for your property value in a few years. You could make some money off that big house.
Me: Actually, I honestly don't think Price Hill is ever going to have a big economic revitalization. I just don't see it...
Someone: So... (confused silence) Why are you moving there?
Me: Lots of reasons, but overall we think it's the right place for us to raise our family.
Someone: (jaw hits the floor...)
Me: Really, we do. Are you ok?
It was a full weekend here in the Sca family. We spent yesterday and today afternoons at Mount Echo, Price Hill's best park, where the downtown view is pretty sweet. (Everyone knows the city view from I-75 heading home from Kentucky... everyone knows the city view from Newport... but city views from the city are harder to come by.)
Yesterday afternoon, there was an event called "Positive Presence in the Park" (a very K-Love kind of name, I know). Free and open to anyone who stopped by, the afternoon had several music groups, games, free food, and a very diverse crowd. Heard K-Drama for the first time... he's a Price Hill rapper, and he put on a great show.

Today, the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company put on a free performance of Much Ado About Nothing behind the pavilion. Robyn and I have been able to enjoy quite a few plays over the years, but this was the first time the "theater" was outside. We threw down a comfy blanket and enjoyed the actors' work on a beautiful sunny day. If you've never checked out a Shakespeare performance in person, allow me to highly recommend it. It's the kind of entertainment that makes you feel more smarter when you leave.

(Many thanks go out to Grambee and Papi for the 6 hour marathon Tobysitting session. I'm glad you guys survived. We'll be dropping him off again soon. Hey, if Robyn's parents are putting us up for a month, that doesn't mean you get off easy...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must admit (cuz you know that I am the total honest one in the family and just tell it like it is!!!!) yep, your nuts!!! Can't believe that your going through with it but I love you all a whole bunch anyway!! I would be more than happy to Toby-sit anytime but it has to be in DELHI!!!!!!! I'm not the price hill kind of girl :)

Anonymous said...

Yep, Mt. Echo Park is the Golden Gate Park of Cincinnati. It was my baseball field, my tenis court, my place to climb trees, and when I was a young man, my place to neck with my lovely to be wife......and still wife..!

Dan W