Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Was it Over when the Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor?

It's not over. The sellers counter-offered our list of expectations. I almost wish they would have just said "no deal", as that would at least make this chapter of the housing search finished. But no, another negotiation. We told our realtor that we're sick and tired of all this back-and-forth... so we're meeting, face-to-face, at the house Friday afternoon. We will either hammer out a deal, or we won't, but some sort of conclusion must occur. This is getting ridiculous. I'm tired of writing about it, and you're tired of reading it.

Even though we have essentially invested a month of our life into this house, we are fully prepared to walk away. I don't want it to come to that, but when it comes to what we feel we need in order to make the house a safe place to raise a family, I'm unwilling to budge.

Honestly, I don't understand why the sellers are making this so difficult:
  • They've said they just want to be done with the house so that they can enjoy what are supposed to be the "glory years" (their own words, not mine)
  • I doubt their finances are a concern, as they still own several other properties
  • If we walk away, do they really think they are going to find another seller to buy an East Price Hill home that is now known to have extensive termite damage?
  • The house was thought to be in "excellent condition" and still sat on the market for over a year before we bid on it, so I doubt anyone will be knocking on their door with a wad of money in their hands
Instead of fighting with us over what ultimately only amounts to a few thousand dollars, shouldn't they just take the deal? Isn't it in their best interest at this point?

After all, it's not my fault they didn't maintain their termite contract... after having 3 contractors tell us to walk away from this house, we're still willing buyers... but my conditions are that the structural issues will be fixed before we move in. And it won't be me paying to fix problems caused by somebody else's failure to take care of their property.

Is it bad that Robyn and I are both sick of this house? Have I asked that already? Oh yeah... that's how I ended the last post... ok... well... it's the truth!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds simple to me,..they fix you buy..! Funny how when money is involved, thngs get weird. Man, that is one good pix of Mom and Toby....every picture tells a story, don't it..!??
Peace to you Scott,

Dan W