Tobe has been sleeping quite well for many months now. (I'm sure my wife could tell me the exact date the kid first slept all the way through, but she's not here, so I can't ask.) It has been sooooooo nice to consistently sleep at night without being awoken by screaming.
It's incredibly rare, however, for Daddy to put Toby to sleepy. Breastfeeding was always a part of the evening routine, and I'd be a miserable failure at such a task, so Robyn has always been the nighttime parent.
Well, tonight, Robyn isn't home, so the duties fell to me. (Bedtime duties, not breastfeeding duties... yeah...) I wasn't scared... honestly, I was probably a little too confident. Tobe wasn't amused. I couldn't count the times he said "mamamamama..." while we were in his room before he fell asleep after many tears. Most times, he's pretty content to hang out with me, and with good reason, I am a pretty fun dad! But tonight, it was painfully clear that I am not good enough for nighttime. I have not yet earned the right to be the last one in the room.
Robyn, don't you dare ever doubt how much this kid loves/trusts/needs you. You'll never see how much he loves/trusts/needs you, but I'll see it every time he gets scared and you aren't home. I wish you could see it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Its just the opposite at our house. Aly wants no part of Mindee for the last half hour of her day. I change her into her sleepystuff, give her some milk, sit her on the potty, rock her in her chair, then put her to sleep. If Mindee tries it, all hell breaks loose.
Post a Comment