Brett opened the hour by asking if anyone had anything big going on in their lives that they'd like to share with the group. I knew, deep down, that my frustrations really shouldn't be categorized as "big", so I kept my mouth shut, even though the sympathetic attention likely would have felt ok. Good thing, too, cause some of the guys had some doozies.
A few months back, a friend of mine's 4-year-old daughter was raped by the babysitter's son. As if that isn't horrible enough to deal with, the family is now feeling pressure from the prosecutor to put the little girl on the witness stand during the upcoming trial.
Another friend is currently separated from his wife and kids. He knows that he desperately needs to change, or else his family will never be together again. Heck, he knows that even if he changes completely, he still might not get his family back.
Why have I been shown so much grace? I know how rotten I am... I know what unspeakable things my mind conjures up... I know how filthy some of my desires are... I know how much of a murderer/adulterer I am in my heart... Truthfully, I don't deserve to take another breath or see another morning. I deserve eternal death, right now.
And yet, my life is unbelievably good. While millions and millions around the globe are suffering... while my friend is fighting a war in the Middle East... while friends at church are dealing with the fallout of child rape and marital separation... I get to hang out with these two beautiful people every morning and night:
Jesus, thank you for your mercy. I deserve none of the goodness you give. And if/when you allow me to "suffer" may I not forget that you will still then be a holy and perfect God.
1 comment:
Aww Toby is so freekin cute! Good to see ya's Tuesday night! Let us know if ya's need help packing! I mean it!
Post a Comment