[I need to be careful how much I disclose of my wife's current locale, as her 20 is quite Dick-Cheney-esque. Robyn and the Tobe are vacationing in an undisclosed location (which may or may not be near thousands of tacky tourist attractions in the Smoky Mountains) with a couple family members (who may or may not be my mom and my sister). The price was right on the condo (which may or may not be owned by another family member), hence the trip. Transparently vague, you conclude? If you are confused, just know that this paragraph isn't for you. (:-o) ]
I was just sitting here on the couch, minding my business, watching This Is Spinal Tap. I must say, not many scenes in American cinema are as hilarious as "but this one goes to eleven". The scene with Derek Smalls' metal detector incident involving pants, a cucumber, and aluminum foil is up there too. But I digress... my movie was interupted when I received a text message from the wifey which simply read "Do i have a story for you!" Naturally, I responded, and ultimately was told the tale:
Upon arriving back to the condo following dinner, one of the vacationees smelled smoke in the air. Thinking it might not be a good idea to ride an elevator when smoke is present, Robyn took the stairs to investigate. The smoke wasn't coming from the elevator shaft, so the rest of the traveling party rode up to the condo. There was enough smoke to deem it astute to call 911 (which was hilariously more challenging than it sounds, since Toby had taken apart the phone). Emergency responders were en route as Robyn continued to try to find the source of the smoke.
Sure enough, Robyn eventually found a fire. Fittingly, she was both scared and excited at the thought of having to break the glass to get to the extinguisher, and subsequently both relieved and disappointed when there was no glass to break. Regardless, she put out the fire! My hero!
While Robyn was playing the role of firefighter, the building was being evacuated, fire alarms were deafening, and millions of sirens were heard approaching in the distance, all of which must've been fun and confusing for The Tobe. Also, at some point in this whole ordeal, Toby soiled himself and missed his bedtime by a couple hours, which certainly made everything more fun.
I write all of this to say two things... (1) I'm incredibly proud of my wife, who never fails to run towards trouble and potentially dangerous situations because of her great love and concern for people, and (2) I hope they catch and reprimand the moron whose discarded cigarette started what could have been a much worse situation than it was.
(By the way, I've been told that there are many worthwhile stories to tell, but that this one was told first "since it involves the most sirens". My wife knows how to get my attention! How much do I love this marriage? Let me count the ways...)
Saturday, April 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I was there. I was the said vacationee that smelled the smoke in the elevator shaft. I ran to the disassembled phone to dial 911 and pulled the fire alarm. I threw a box of fudge on the floor of the bedroom when I realized the phone was taken apart and then ran to the living room couch to find it. The most funny thing in hindsight was throwing fudge on the floor. It was scary in the moment though--lots of smoke and older people who couldn't hear the alarms inside their condos. Robyn is a hero.
Post a Comment