Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Convictions from Galatians 6

Paul's message to the Galatian Christians was to emphasize that salvation is of faith, not works, and this message was necessary because of the "Judaizers" who had taken the Christian gospel (freedom from the Law because of Christ) and had reverted back to an emphasis of works. My Catholic upbringing probably makes me a good candidate to be a Judaizer, so this book should be pretty relevant.
"If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself."
- Galatians 6:3
I know full well that I'm a dirty rotten sinner. I may look ok in comparison to alot of people, I may be considered "moral" and "a good guy", but I know my sinful innermost thoughts. Reminding myself that I am nothing is easy. Usually, I think of this as a good thing, as I know how disastrous pride can be.

One of my most trusted friends thinks this is a big problem of mine. He says I see so much of my sin that I can't see myself as a child of God. I'm so busy beating the crap out of myself that I can't acknowledge the fact that I've been given Daddy's ring and robe.

Where is the balance? How do I find it? I'm currently unwilling to stop thinking of myself as such a rotten person. And that makes me unable to think of myself as an adopted heir.

I haven't pulled out any Bible commentaries, but I'm pretty sure the convictions I received today from Galatians 6 weren't quite what Paul was trying to convey to his readers. No matter, I believe the Spirit can (and does) deliver messages regardless of where we are or what we're doing.

No comments: