Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Reading

I’ve never been much of a reader. The thought of reading for fun never appealed to me. See, everything in education always came easily to me, so I rarely spent more than a couple minutes at a time with books. My current theory on why I dislike books digs deep into my subconscious; if I had to pick up and read a book, that means I don’t already know the answer, and I’m unwilling to admit my lack of knowledge. True? No idea… that’s why it’s my current “theory”, that I’m subconsciously too good to stoop to the level of reading.

My wife, however, seems to enjoy nothing more than spending her free hours in study. She is constantly searching for answers to the questions she has in life, and rarely does she decide on a satisfactory answer until she has read multiple books per topic. Heck, even after all that reading, she often still isn’t satisfied. We have shelves and shelves full of books that I’ve never touched. She’s read every single one of them, cover to cover. And while I’m selfishly tempted to say she takes reading a little too seriously, the truth is I’m jealous.

And I’m jealous not just of my wife, but also of my sister. Ceen had to bust her butt to earn her grades in school. It didn’t come natural to her like it did to me. One of the results of our differences is our habit of study; she studies with an enthusiasm to comprehend the answers to her questions, and I don’t even attempt to. My questions go unanswered, unless I can concoct a satisfactory conclusion between my own two ears.

But I sure do like to consume! There are quite a few blogs that I read pretty regularly. There is a sports forum that I read daily. And I sure do enjoy pouring over meaningless baseball statistics on the fantasy site. Please, fellow bloggers and messageboard posters, take no offense when I say that these things don’t make me any more smarter. These things entertain me and inform me to a certain extent, but they do not engage my mind or challenge my brain. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy reading about your lives and thoughts, but save for those of you who teach me theology, my brain is simply consumed instead of challenged. (Most of you are saying “right back atcha, Scott…”)

I have a list of books that I would like to read… I knocked one of them out recently and have started book #2. I feel smarter already. (Ironically, the completed book is called Don’t Waste Your Life.) I’m hoping this new hobby catches on.

I’d like for my son to take a better reading attitude than his daddy took. Right now, any “reading is good” lessons I’d try to teach would be hollow. I know better than to think Toby would ever buy into the “do as I say, not as I do” bullcrap. I’ve seen enough of that. It don’t do.

No comments: