Wednesday, March 07, 2007

My Boy

Robyn has been the exclusive bedtime parent for the last 14 months. Since she's been nursing him all along, it's natural for her to finish off his day. On my end, the truth is, I've kinda used this as an excuse for not being more involved in the nightime routine. Monday, for the first time ever, I put Tobe to sleep for the night. Tonight was the second time. Even though it's not easy and can be quite frustrating, there's something about watching the kid fall asleep... everything just feels right with the world...

Toby's sign language has improved greatly. He now knows signs for "more", "sleepy", "bye-bye", "milk", "cheerio", "sippy cup", and probably a few more that The Mommy Guy could name. Signs have really made communicating much easier. But of all the signs he knows, with me, he most persistently uses "up". As soon as I walk through the front door after a day at work, he smiles and requests to be picked up. Of course, I oblige.

Sometimes I just pick him up. Sometimes I hold him over my head and blow on his belly. Sometimes I throw him up in the air and catch him. Sometimes I make him into an airplane. But the latest thing that makes The Daddy Guy melt into a puddle is when we dance. I don't try to be a big sentimental sap... I just am one. I'm in love with my little boy...

I'll put on a CD and crank it up. Tobe will smile and let me know that he wants up, so I grab him. And then we dance. I suffer from a severe case of White Man's Syndrome, so my skills are less than stellar, but the little fella doesn't seem to care. Around and around we go, we get dizzy and disoriented, but he just holds on and smiles and giggles. It is large amounts of fun.

This past weekend, while dancing, I put my cheek up against his, as if we were doing a ballroom dance. Today, during our Daddy-is-home-from-work dance, guess what he does? He pushes his face up against mine and just rests there. Amazing! I do it one time for 10 seconds and he remembers.

This parenthood thing is pretty much fun. I highly recommend it. You know, within the context of marriage.

No comments: