Thursday, December 15, 2005

Male Baby Shower

Before this pregnancy, I had been to a baby shower before. (Man, it's hard to enunciate on the blog... AH baby shower, as in "one".) It was the Hamrick shindig that preceded young Conner. Haven't been to one since. Hadn't been invited to one since. I think the co-ed and/or exclusively male showers typically don't exist. Well, a few weeks back, I went with Robyn to one of her showers, and the fact that Aaron was going to be there as the only male co-worker at Prego Care was certainly a contributing factor. That ended up being very worth it, as it netted by son his first baseball glove and a miniature Carson Palmer jersey. And it was good...

Tonight, I was surprised by Momaloo Bast and her cast of deceitful friends (aka the Thursday night small group) with my very own... baby... shower... I must confess, when everyone yelled surprise, my first response was... *shrug...* "why are you doing this...?" But it was fun. I mean, I appreciate it. Really. I do. I'm flattered. It was very kind, and a good time was had by all. And apparently girls play all these standard baby shower games involving unscrambling baby words and whoever ends up with the most diaper pins wins and who knows the mom-to-be the best and all this other girly stuff... thank goodness the only games we played tonight were carpetball and mafia, both of which I hereby nominate should be required games for all future male baby showers. You know, since male baby showers happen often.

Oh yeah, and I got to be on a panel of judges for a belching contest. Bet none of you girls ever had a belching contest at a baby shower. I tried my best to convince the others on the panel (Flex and jbbrick) that "the guy who tried so hard he almost vomited on himself" deserved to win based on sheer effort, but we ended up judging based upon the groundrules. And y'all know the groundrules... each burp was judged based upon three categories: (1) decibel level, (2) sustain, and (3) creativity. Creativity should have been renamed "delivery". Flex had the right idea, we should've acted like we were a panel of judges for figure skating. OK, maybe you had to be there...

No comments: