So I get my first Christmas present tomorrow night: A concert with my wife. Prediction: I will cry like a baby. Wanna know why? Just click that link and read about how Andrew Peterson has performed this show for the last 6 years and has never made it through without weeping. If you've ever performed before, imagine how hard it would be to perform something for 6 years and never get calloused to the material. Humanly impossible. Must be the message.
Thank God for the way He chose to save the world. Yeah, it requires some faith. Actually, it requires quite a bit. For it to make sense that Christ really is the Son of God, the Savior, it requires faith that Jesus was born of a virgin, it requires faith that he performed all those miracles, it requires faith that he was executed and raised from the dead 3 days later, it requires faith that he was 100% human and 100% God at the same time, and that the 100% human part lived a completely perfect sinless life for 33 years. Who could truly believe all of those things? Who could really have that kind of faith? A child. And as such, Jesus was born as a child. Beautifully anticlimactic, really. Hallelujah.
Around Eastertime 2004, right before the River Valley / Oak Hills Christian merger to Impact, Robyn and I were blessed with the opportunity to attend a Seder, Passover meal. What an amazing experience. My eyes were opened. It's as if I thought I knew what God looked like, except I was in a dark room with sunglasses on. So I could only see a shadow, and my mind filled in what I thought He should look like. Then I was introduced to Yom Kippur and the Passover meal and all sorts of other Jewish history that I was utterly clueless about. And the sunglasses came off and a spotlight began to shine on the Old Testament, and it all started to make more sense as ONE cohesive book (as opposed to the two separate testaments I had thought they were).
All this to say... I'm going to be overwhelmed tomorrow night. I'm very much looking forward to hearing Andrew Peterson, Derek Webb, and company tell the whole story. Not just beginning in Luke... but beginning at the beginning... not leaving Moses out of the picture... not simply passing over the Passover... wow... do I really have to wait 19 hours?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
lise and i almost got tickets to see this show. peterson is good but there's another musician playing with him who blows my mind, too - Andrew Osenga. Andy was the lead singer, songwriter of the group The Normals and since then took Derek Webb's spot in Caedmon's Call.
osenga's lyrics and his vocals are very powerful. his solo work since the normals is wonderful, too.
anyway, instead of going to see AP, we're heading to the cincinnati ballet to see The Nutcracker. :-)
Osenga was AWESOME! They were all awesome... Good call...
Post a Comment