Robyn, Aimee, and I went to Windsor today. One of the things I "needed" on this trip was to see a genuine castle. I've seen the Biltmore in Asheville... but... well... how do I explain it... yes, they have big structures in the States, but...
I wanted to see something with a moat around it.
Done. And, in case you were wondering, just for the record, no. There weren't any alligators.
Windsor Castle. Sweet mother it's a frickin' huge place. I took a picture almost as soon as we walked in the door and was pretty much attacked by some friendly royal guards. Photography indoors is a no-no. I didn't make that mistake twice.
I have some thoughts. Not entirely sure how to put them to words. I'm pretty sure this will be a multiple-parter, so I'll just vomit the first thought that comes to mind and we'll see where it goes.
(1) The arrogance of royalty is absurd. How many thousands of square feet are necessary? Ceilings of gold?
I kinda understand the logic of having the biggest house, the most expensive car, the finest jewelry. CEOs work hard to get to the top. Elite professional athletes work hard to get the big contract. But royals? All they have to brag about is their mommy and daddy. What did they earn? All they did was be born with the right blood.
Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't get it. All that money spent on the royal's need for pomp and circumstance could be used for better things. You know, like... well... pretty much anything and everything.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
are americans allowed to have an opinion on such issues?
when you get back, your coming over to help me dig a moat around my house.
Post a Comment