Friday, August 31, 2007

Race Card Update

Instead of editing the original post, I figured I should just make this a new one, considering most of you are RSS people. So, here's my update, specifically about the "what if it was a black girl who died in the back of an older car in the 'hood?" hypothetical situation:

I have spoken with quite a few folks about these situations. All of whom I polled are white, ages 21-65. I'm perpetually amazed at the candor people give me. There has been much discussion, and my conclusion is that this is one hell of a polarizing subject. Surprise, right?!

(1) Several people agreed with me, or at least conceded that my opinion is valid. I'm not on an island with my thoughts, which is good, I guess...

(2) The majority did not agree with me. Many said racism isn't as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be. Some said this is all just a microcosm showing the sad news that, as a society, we value the life of a dog more than the life of a child. Truthfully, I understand these arguments, and agree to a certain extent.

(3) Of the majority who said race is not a factor in the case, multiple respondents went on to express blatantly racist comments such as:

  • "turning the situation around is impossible because if a black mom left her kid in the car to die, it's probably to go collect food stamps and buy drugs, not because she was going to work"

There were others... I was almost expecting the next statement to be "little black girls just grow up to be teenagers with babies who grow up to be a burden on society anyway". Thankfully, it didn't go that far. But there was a disturbing frequency of the words "they" and "them" when referring to "the blacks". If I was a black man, there's no way these people would have said any of this to me. I'm pretty sure these people expected me to agree with them. I wanted to throw up.

For the folks who said "race is not a factor" and then followed up with that bullshit, I'm going to take the liberty of saying "race IS a factor" on their behalf, as they are obviously oblivious.

(Sidenote: don't assume these people aren't "Christians", because you know what happens when you wrongly ass-u-me...)

(4) Finally, I had an extensive conversation with someone who has spent LOTS of time in local courtrooms. This person believes that there would absolutely be (A) a minimum of hypothetical manslaughter charges against the hypothetical poorer black woman and (B) no hypothetical animal cruelty charges against the hypothetical mid/upper-class white woman.

Just sayin'. It exists. Much of it is hidden. And there is much of it within people that you'd never suspect. And it needs to die. And it needs to be our generation that kills it. With apologies to Gatorade, dear readers, I ask you... is it in you?

I hope it's all dead inside of me. If it isn't, may God show it to me so that it can be brought out and killed for the sinful bastard that it is, so that it doesn't infect my son or hinder my ability to love.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a lot of response on this one Scott. So what the hell, I'll give it a shot. White folks (is 'folks' PC?) are scared to death of the word "racist", ask any politician....and it's thrown around this day in age through accusations, at the drop of a hat. It’s awfully tough to tackle the “R” word and all the evil that comes w/it. Somewhere, human nature
plays into it and hums are a long way from perfect. Nuff said, but a whole lot more could be.

Dan W

Jennifer said...

I know racism still exists and you're probably right, but I think some of it has to do with what neighborhood it occurred in and the social status of the people involved. Had it been a black woman in a luxury SUV with a nice job vs. a white woman in a poorer neighborhood what would the results be? That would narrow it down to a strict black or white, racism issue and leave out some of the other circumstances.

I'm confused why you're offended by the use of pronouns such as "they" or "them". If we're talking about a difference between two races, wouldn't one use those pronouns to describe the group they're not a part of?

scott d said...

Jennifer-

Many of whom I'm thinking of are in my grandparents' generation... and when the word "they" comes out of their mouth in regard to black folks, the connotation I hear is "those n-words".

I understand your point... I hesitated to say what I said because I knew it could be confusing... there are just some times when I'm 99% sure "they" means something much more malicious and judgmental than it reads.