Friday, August 03, 2007

Scotty D > Tony Gwynn?


Since my softball post from last night, I had a nice chat with my good friend and softball manager, Levon:
Scott: Hey, coach...
Levon: What's up, Tony Gwynn*!
Scott: Are you calling me a fat, slow guy with limited range?
Levon: No, man, you hit the ball hard and got a couple singles...
Scott: Well thanks... I can turn any positive into a negative, you know...
Levon is our shortstop and cleanup hitter. If anyone on our team has a shot to hit one out of the park this year, it's Levon. He knew how frustrated I was to become one with the groundout. He also writes the lineup card, and dropped me to 11th in the order for last night's game! 10 position players, a DH, and I hit dead last. Truth be told, it's where I belonged after those first couple games. After my 2-hit performance, I better be hitting at least 9th or 10th next week...

'Twas a good chat. We talked about life, family, and softball. I love playing ball, regardless of how bad I might be. But the reason to play on Thursday nights is to hang with the guys. The love of the game isn't enough...

*Sidenote: I saw an article this morning about Tony Gwynn's efforts to get in shape prior to his HOF induction ceremony. Can you believe a Hall of Fame baseball player, just 5 years removed from playing in the bigs, lost 20 pounds in the last 3 months and still looks like this?
Yeah... as of 3 months ago, this "athlete" could only do 5 push-ups and only bench press 40 pounds. Umm... I thought the BAR weighed 45? You know what this means, right? It means I am a better athlete than a Hall of Famer! Sure, he has 3000 career hits, but at least I can bench the bar...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, where did Tony G's neck go?
The man could flat hit,no doubt!
Scott, did you say you "like just hanging with the guys" Amen to that. Balance in ones life, especially those we surround ourselves with, is so key. And playing at game while at it!!! Yeah, life is good.

Dan W