Thursday, July 27, 2006

Excuse Me... May I Borrow the Scoop?

Two weeks have passed since I resolved to start working my butt off at work. It's amazing how much more work gets done when the web browser is never opened. There's no reason for me to be proud simply for doing what I get paid to do, but I do feel pretty good about this. The days go faster, I'm in a better mood because things are getting done, I'm more sociable at the office because I have more confidence, and I think the bossman is pleased with what has been accomplished. There have been a few times when I've clicked 'Start', 'Programs...' then realized where I was going and had to stop myself. Moderation just doesn't seem to work for me... I need to keep the web browser closed unless I'm looking up driving directions or actually need the web for work.

I'm hoping to be in Mississippi in 9 days. Our youth group is sending 23 folks south to help with Katrina relief. I know that the storm hit a year ago, but there is apparently a tremendous amount of work left to be done. My boss has given me approval to go on short notice, so it's in my hands whether or not I go. I'm willing to give up my vacation time, my lovely bride is willing to play single mom for a week, and my company thinks it's a great thing. Thing is, I feel very strongly that I need to be the best dang employee I can be, and there are work responsibilities that would fall to my boss if I leave on August 5. I'm still trying to decide if it's a good idea for me to leave him to all the corporate deadlines.

The high school guys' small group was had. We focused on "the view from above," how God sees us. It's always good to be reminded that we don't serve a Father who is all "hell and damnation" to his struggling children. I am in desperate need of perfect Mercy, and my desire is to honor Jesus with my life... I'm so thankful that I, the prodigal, am welcomed home every time I realize I've strayed from the path... and what a blessing to be able to share stories of grace with younger guys who are so hungry to hear who God is!

After group, we hit up UDF. I couldn't pass up the 99-cent Pink Cow. The other guys were even more cost effective... they purchased a half gallon and a box of cones, and proceeded to devour their dessert right there in the seating area. When the little pink plastic spoons proved unequal to the task of filling cones, I jokingly suggested one of the fellas should ask to borrow the parlor's scoop. To my surprise, he asked. To all our surprise, the scooper obliged. Needless to say, the scoop was in their possession for the next 20 minutes, and the half gallon and the box of cones are now comfortably resting in thier bellies.

Adam Dunn is 7-for-his-last-7. The end of the world must certainly be near. May you remain on fire, Big Donkey. The home team needs your bat...

Big plumbing project tomorrow... let's hope it's the $300 job I was quoted, not the $2000 job I fear...

No comments: