I don't force Jesus down anyone's throat. I try to make sure I have a relationship established with someone before I go down the road of talking Jesus. Not that there's anything wrong with going up to random strangers and telling them about Jesus. It's just not the way I roll.
I think I'm a personable guy. I don't think I'm terribly awkward in casual conversation. I don't think I interrupt people in the middle of their sentences too often. I feel like I can get along with anyone, from high school guys to people my age to people my parents' age and even folks my grandparents' age. I can talk family, music, sports, grilling, lawncare, cars... you name it, I'll have some semblance of a clue. I'm kind to most everyone I meet.
Robyn and I live in a row of 4 houses that are all kept with good curb appeal. We keep our yards looking good. We all have flowers. Our houses are colorful. We all take pride in keeping our little corner of the city looking good. We let each other know when we'll be on vacation just so the street knows what's going on.
My nextdoor neighbor (whom I refer to as 'The Boss') is overwhelmed with life right now. He recently purchased the dilapidated 1860s house 2 lots down from us and is in process of tearing it down in order to have a bigger yard, which the whole neighborhood is excited about. Needless to say, with a fulltime job, every spare hour The Boss has is invested in the house project, and he doesn't want to spend an hour per week cutting his grass. If I had to guess, I'd say he's in his 60s.
I found out tonight that he asked my other nextdoor neighbor (whom I know as 'Steve') to cut his grass for him this summer. Steve is a really good neighbor. He calls me 'boy'. If I had to guess, I'd say he's in his early 40s. When Steve said no, The Boss offered $30/week, and Steve promptly said yes.
So my question... why didn't The Boss ask me to cut his grass? I am younger (specifically, I'm in my 20s). I'm personable (see above). Quite frankly, I enjoy cutting my grass (although I wouldn't expect him to know that). I'd gladly cut his grass for free, just to serve him. I've offered to help him with little projects in the past. So why didn't he ask?
This may be a very small issue, but it makes me think: am I approachable? Is there a reason why The Boss didn't ask me to help him? Is it just because he's known Steve longer, or is there something about me that needs to be fixed?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i'm gonna be frank with you, duebber. maybe even a little curt. tactless, even. i've never wanted to really say this to you before and i'm sorry i feel i have to now.
dude. you've got a baby.
Post a Comment