This weekend was aspirin for my 'the-family-in-general-is-going-to-hell' headache. In the last 72 hours, Robyn and I attended the following pro-family happenings as they occurred:
- My lovely bride and I went to the craft store, bought supplies, and made some fun homemade T-shirts. You can call me a sappy loser, but I'll get the last laugh everytime I see my vegetarian wife wearing her new "Save A Cow, Eat a Vegan" threads (including a sweet smiling cartoon cow).
- Adrienne's graduation party, hosted by her parents, attended by family and friends.
- Katie's graduation party, hosted by her parents, which included a 15 minute slideshow that love and pride for family was oozing out of.
- An afternoon at Toby's godparents' house. Jeff & Jessica are anxiously awaiting baby #3, and yet they have plenty of extra energy to ensure that Caleb and Emma know they are loved beyond belief by Mommy and Daddy and Jesus. And they seem to like us and Toby as well. Great parents, great kids.
- A Duebber family party that included (but was not limited to) Grandma & Grandpa and their 58 years of marriage; Al & Deb and their 35+ years of marriage; and my parents and their 30+ years of marriage; 8 total grandchildren (and 3 grandchildren's spouses), 5 total great-grandchildren in attendance.
- A Goodridge family party that included an American family and a Polish family, meeting for the first time, that have in common engaged children. Ping-pong (I didn't lose in my three matches, by the way...), a meal, dessert, and the combination of two families made for yet another wonderful evening. 'Twas an absolute pleasure to meet Pawel, Maria, and Peter Kobak. I gained two awesome parents and two beautiful sisters when I married Robyn. In about a year, I'm gaining a brother named Lech, another family addition I'm ecstatic about.
Marriages were designed to last. Children deserve to grow up in a home where Mommy and Daddy love each other and are committed to their marriage. I saw lots of hope for the future this weekend. Statistically, I know it's a small sample, but it's pretty dang good to see love and commitment everywhere I've looked over the past few days.
1 comment:
I agree with you whole-heartedly about marriage not being something other than a lifelong commitment- I could not have said my vows it if I did not believe with my whole heart that I will be with Anthony for the rest of our lives. Though I do not think you can choose who you fall in love with, I do think that staying in love and staying married will require effort to do so. People tend to have the romantic notion that love should be easy, or "love means never having to say you are sorry"- and that leads many people to give up.
My opinion varies a little on the definition of family though. I do not think that a happy healthy family has to be the traditional nuclear family. I love my family very much, but my family is not limited to my relatives and Anthony's relatives. My friends have become my family too. I think that there are so many children (or even people in general) who are in need of any family, that we should not limit "family" to just the idea of just a Mom and a Dad- no more, no less. I am blessed to have 2 loving parents( who happen get divorced when I was a senior), but I don't think we should discredit familes that stray from the nuclear definition.
I am not writing to debate the numerous other issues surrounding this topic, and I hope you understand that I respect your opinion 100%. I just know that I am put on this earth to love the best that I can, and I am not sitting in a position to judge the value of one love vs. another.
Just my 2 cents...Cheers!
( p.s. I did not think my comment would be so long, but there it is...lol)
Post a Comment