I can’t sense a mother’s hormones. It’s just something I can’t do. Our cats, however, certainly knew that Robyn was pregnant. They acted so weird throughout the pregnancy, and they haven’t recovered now that The Tobe is home. Maybe it’s an animal thing… maybe critters can sense what I can’t.
Further evidence of this came on Monday night at the Goodridge-Kobak party. Before the ping-pong tournament (the trophy of which I will proudly defend at the next party), a very tiny baby Chickadee was found in the middle of the yard. The bird was breathing but not flying. We chose to leave well enough alone and proceeded with the tourney. While the fellas did battle, Robyn and the kid relaxed in the shade in a hammock.
Over the next hour, the baby bird slowly migrated toward the hammock, one hop at a time. There appeared to be no logical reason for this. The hammock did not contain a nest or its mother bird. Eventually, ping-pong needed to be abandoned as we watched this baby chickadee climb up Robyn’s leg, into the hammock, perching upon her knee. The bird appeared very satisfied once it reached the summit. Had the forced migration to another part of the yard not happened, we think the bird would have rode on Robyn’s leg all the way back to College Hill. The bird even remained on Robyn for quite awhile, even as I handed her The Tobe for a photo-op, until it was forcibly removed.
Would the bird have climbed on to any person other than Robyn? I think not. Even baby birds love Toby’s mommy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Lets correct a few details:
Meghyn already wrote about it....and I have no brain....so, here you go....
"when a baby bird (not the icky young baby birds) but one that had just been pushed out of the nest was found in the yard just hanging out and we all took pains avoiding its vacinity so we wouldn't scare its mom off. But the baby bird follows robyn and the tobe around the yard (hopping toward where ever she stood) and finally when robyn is in the hammock it hops right under her butt then flips to grab the hammock and hangs upside down and then climbs its way up (robyns thigh) to sit on her knee. then it just stays there. in the mean time, Pawel, Peter and my dad are snapping a million pictures of robyns "new baby". it was great."
Post a Comment