Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My New mp3 Player

I hate spending money on non-necessities. I received an iPod as a gift a couple years ago. Never realizing how much it would be missed, it died over a year and a half ago. To buy or not to buy a new one was the question. I chose not to buy.

Until woot.com had the $99 Zune offer. At less than half the cost of the 30GB (or more) iPod I desired, I could have a knockoff. That's right, I called the Micro$oft mp3 player a knockoff.

Functionally, it works. Sounds fine. Battery life seems to be excellent (although I'd like to reserve judgment for a few months down the road, as battery life darned well better be good right now). And thus far, I'm happy with the Zune software on my laptop, even though it's not exactly the same as iTunes. I'm quite content with it all, to be quite honest.

I'd rather have a new iPod. I'm not whining here... just saying... if money wasn't a factor, I'd go Apple again in a heartbeat. The FM radio tuner is good for the stronger signal strength stations, but not so hot for the weaker stations, which is a bummer because I prefer the weaker stations, normally. The big thing I miss is the iPod wheel navigator. It was so comfortable and well-designed, and the Zune's controlability just can't match the iPod in this case, IMO.

But if you're looking for an mp3 player, this thing works fine. Once 'play' is pushed, it doesn't sound any different from what I'm used to. And the price was great.

Sidenote: my wife had never heard of a Zune prior to my purchase. Neither of us were familiar with woot.com. And it's absolutely hilarious when she asks "how do you like your woot?" Better than asking me if I'm playing with my woot, I suppose...

Zune is a stupid name, anyway. (Thanks, Steve Carr...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've been a woot follower for a year or so but have only bought a couple things off there in that time. lise's Zen died the week prior to the Zune being put up, so i surprised her and bought it for her.

i've gotta say, i'm jealous of her Zune. sure, it's a stupid name, but the screen is HUGE compared to the ipod. the layout is much nicer and easier to navigate around in. playing video is pretty sweet, too.

remember that the iPod doesn't have an FM tuner at all - at least there's some functionality with the Zune.

all this having been said, i love my 80gb ipod. but having messed with itunes for the past 1.5 years, and now messing with Zune's software, the Zune is superior in several ways.

and then the warning: this is the same argument as the pc vs. mac - your opinion is your opinion. :-)

did you see a week later that woot was selling the same 30gb zune for only $79.99 (because it was as brown as a turd)?

Justin Hall said...

i think were i not locked into the itunes ecosystem because of their DRM, i would switch to the zune - just cause i love the screen, and it's cheaper. plus i'm sick of giving $$ to apple. i may strip the DRM off all the itunes songs i have and just move anyway when my current ipod dies in a few years.

at least you're not this guy.