Friday, November 16, 2007

Daddy Works in Music... Toby Does a Happy Dance!

5 days per week, I'm an accountant. I wear slacks and button-up shirts and dress shoes. I make profit statements and balance sheets. Microsoft Excel is my best friend. (Toby doesn't go with me to the office.)

1 day per week, I play music at church. I typically wear holey jeans. Not holy... holey. No math is done, unless you count the number of songs I play. (Toby goes to church with his Mommy and sees me there.)

Most weekday mornings, Toby is awake before I leave for the office. So, I'll play with him for a few minutes, hug him, kiss him on the head, tell him I love him, then tell him Daddy has to go to work.

For whatever reason, over the past couple weeks, every time I say "Daddy has to go to work", Tobe does a happy dance and uses sign language for music. Somewhere, the signals got crossed. It's not that he's excited that I'm leaving... it's that music makes him happy, and Daddy is going to go play music. Except... I'm not. I'm going to go play with numbers. It's really funny.

Tonight, I was trying to tell him what we're going to do tomorrow, since it's the weekend and I don't have to go to work:

Dada: Guess what, bud! Tomorrow's Saturday!
Toby: (a look of excitement, even though he has no idea what's a "Saturday")
Dada: That means we're going to go to the bakery in the morning!
Toby: (another smile, as I think he equates "bakery" with "cookie")
Dada
: And Daddy doesn't have to go to work!!!
Toby: (sudden and intense look of confusion and sadness)
Dada: Toby, aren't you excited that Daddy doesn't have to go to work?
Toby: (look of depression... he does a dejected dance and signs for music)
Dada
: No, Tobe, it's ok, the music will be fine...
Toby: (he looks suicidal... a very sad look that I would translate as "But if you don't go to work, who's going to play the music?" he truly looks like he's going to cry.)

Pure comedy. I try to make the kid happy by saying that I get to stay home with him tomorrow, and all it does is make him sad because he thinks nobody will be playing music at my office.

Oh yeah... and he continues to talk constantly about the rhino going pee-pee.

No comments: