"We had three murders last night. We had a total of six rapes last night. We had the day before, I think, there were three or four murders. There were half-a-dozen rapes that night. We had one suicide last night. We had one military policeman shot."...I can only imagine how badly I would want to scream "but we're here to help you..."
Dr. Burnell described the Superdome situation as "very unstable, very high tension, a very dangerous environment."
Burnell said the task of treating people inside the stadium became impossible after they ran out of supplies. "We did not have oxygen, we did not have any medications to speak of," he said. But what forced the New Orleans doc to finally abandon the giant evacuation center was the threat of violence.
"Until I can insure that I'm not putting my life in any significantly dangerous situation as I was before - I will not be back in the Superdome."
The consequences of sin are huge. I know I still, today, deal with the natural consequences of past sin. (This might be a post for another time.) Don't we all? Thank God He forgives and separates us from our sins so much faster and sufficiently than I can forgive myself--or others. The Katrina situation is a very visual reminder that this is not the world the Father created it to be. This is not His fault. The fault is mine. My sin is what introduced these consequences into this world. Thank God that He protects us from hurricanes and tsunamis and death and disease and pain and suffering as much as He does...
I might rant more later... I've got a lot of this stuff on my mind...
1 comment:
Originally posted on the Cincinnati Roots Community Blog. Moved to Room 113 on September 19 for Scott's archiving purposes and to allow Scott to continue to ramble without clogging up the Roots' page.
Post a Comment